Monday, January 25, 2010

Marvin the Marvelous

Toronto 002

Today I had to do a terrible thing. My cat has been having respiratory difficulties for a few weeks now, so I made an appointment with the vet for this afternoon. It turned out to be the worst possible thing imaginable. A chest x-ray revealed tumors in his lungs. There was nothing that could be done. So I had to have him put to sleep.

Marvin would have been 14 years old on May 20th. I had been asked if I would temporarily foster his pregnant mother. She gave birth to three kittens in my bedroom closet. I fell in love with one little guy and decided I would keep him. I initially named him Merlin, but as his personality became more apparent, it was clear that this cat was no magician. He was a big, goofy, klutzy cat and I changed his name to Marvin.

I have loved that cat more than I ever could have imagined was possible and he loved me right back. He was Mama's big boy and I can't imagine what my life will be like without him. I love you Marvin, wherever you are and I miss you terribly.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear it! I can't even think about what it would be like for me to have to go through that with my cats. You had him for 14 amazing years, which is longer than I've had any pet so far, and I'm sure he was a great kitty.

    ReplyDelete