Sunday, May 31, 2009

Good Clean Fun

I love making soap. My sister & I taught ourselves how to make it a few years back and I will never get tired of it. There is just something about adding this horrible toxic lye solution to melted fats and oils and turning it into something completely different.
And the smell of curing soap is divine.
That's what it looks like in the pot. I'm using a stick blender to stir it up. When it reaches "trace", the additives such as essential oils, herbs, colourants go in. Then it's poured into the mold. I let it set overnight and the next day it comes out and gets sliced into bars.







These are the soaps I made yesterday. I did one with my "solstice" blend of essential oils, it's scented with orange, lemongrass, cinnamon, ylang ylang and peppermint. The other soap is "Lavenderwood", a blend of cedarwood, lavender, cypress and patchouli. Awesome stuff, smells like heaven in here. Now it has to cure for 4 to 6 weeks. The pics are kind of washed out looking, ah well. The drying rack in the last picture is something my DH made for me and it is truly awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment